If you want to eat healthy you should learn how to grow leeks because they are full of vitamins and minerals. They are very easy to grow but they are expensive if you want to buy them from the supermarket. If you like them the price is a great reason to cultivate them because you will save a lot of money.
Here is how to grow leeks in your garden:
- The first thing you have to do is choose the place where you want to plant your leeks. The area should have a pH of about 6.5 and it should be rich. If you do not have a rich soil you can help it by adding compost and manure.
- Buy the leek plants from a nursery and plant them at the beginning of spring. If you want to grow the leeks out of seeds you have to start the cultivating earlier indoors. Take the seeds and plant them in a pot 10 weeks before spring.
- Plant the plants into the ground about 5 inches apart because they will grow big.
- Water the plant on a regular basis. The leeks should get about an inch of water a week. Once a month you should give the plant manure tea in order to prevent the stems from becoming hard.
- Harvest the leeks when they reach maturity. You should harvest all of them when they are young because they cook easier and they are tastier. As they grow old they will harden and it will take longer for you to cook.
- This is the easiest way to grow leeks, there are other methods but they are a little bit more complicated. If you want to use another method you should buy a gardening book.
- Make sure that you protect the plant from any diseases that can appear. The most common disease of the plant is the pink root. This disease takes over the roots and turns them pink or red.
This is how to grow leeks at home. As you can see it is not so hard when you think about the price you pay at the supermarket. We advise you to cultivate them because you will get to eat healthy and save money at the same time. Go to the nursery and buy a couple of leek plants and plant them in your garden.